Is wordpress accessible? So far no
Is wordpress accessible for Deaf / Disabled people – so far no!
I’m new to blogging, this is my first day – I want to get it right. I need your help
My priorities is that this blog must be accessible.
It must incorporate full access – I’d be hypocritical otherwise that means my friends and other can access it regardless of disability, reading needs etc.
I know my first blog is word heavy. I want to ensure it has:
- a good font style – Ariel 14pt as standard
- include audio transcripts of my blogs
- include BSL/subtitled audio description transcripts of my blogs
- alt tags so any images are accompanied by a description
- get rid of any un-necessary clutter on each page
- sort out the shortcut so tabs work across the page
- navigates easily – and makes sense
- find a way to incorporate widgets (check out Eden Project’s use of Points developed with Widgets http://www.edenproject.com/
Have I missed anything out? I can only get it right with your help. So contact me.
So what’s wrong with wordpress? This is my impression so far
- navigation – the tab only allows you to either type in a new website address or jump to search the web (on my mac anyway)
- Font style and size is terrible – it uses Georgia, you can’t increase it online; the basic requirements are to avoid sans-serif so … I have to type using pages then copy it into the blog
- Colour contrast – black on white. How do I change the background contrast?- crap if you are dyslexic like me or need good contrast?
- Bullet points are light grey – I can hardly see them
- I’m still trying to find out how to update my layout – I’ll get there
So what else doesn’t work? Please contact me and let me know